Feeling a decline in your sexual desire can be disheartening. While it’s completely normal for libido to fluctuate throughout life, consistent issues can sometimes point to underlying health concerns. Often, lifestyle changes like stress management, better sleep, and regular exercise can help. However, when lifestyle modifications aren’t enough, certain dietary supplements might offer support.
Before starting any new supplement, it’s important to consult with a healthcare professional, as these supplements can have side effects and interact with other medications. With that in mind, here are seven supplements that research suggests may help to boost your libido.
- Why? Fenugreek is a plant often used in cooking and as a traditional remedy for various health issues. Some studies suggest that fenugreek can increase sexual desire and performance in both men and women, possibly due to its ability to boost testosterone levels.
- How to take it: Fenugreek is available in capsule form or as a tea. Dosage can vary, so it’s important to follow the instructions on the label or consult with a healthcare professional.
- Why? Native to Peru, maca is a root vegetable that’s been used for centuries to increase stamina and combat fatigue. Research suggests that it may improve sexual desire, especially in menopausal women and men.
- How to take it: Maca is often available as a powder that can be added to smoothies, oatmeal, or baked goods. It’s also available in capsule form. As with fenugreek, follow the instructions for dosage, or consult with a healthcare professional.
- Tribulus Terrestris
- Why? Tribulus Terrestris is a small leafy plant that has been used for medicinal purposes in Traditional Chinese Medicine and Indian Ayurveda. It is often promoted to enhance athletic performance and sexual health. Some research suggests it might increase sexual desire in women with low libido.
- How to take it: This supplement is typically sold in capsules or as a liquid extract. Again, dosage can vary widely, so consult with a healthcare professional.
- Ginkgo Biloba
- Why? Ginkgo biloba, extracted from the maidenhair tree, is often used in traditional medicine to treat circulatory disorders and enhance memory. Its potential benefit for libido lies in its ability to improve blood circulation, which can enhance arousal by boosting blood flow to the genitals.
- How to take it: Ginkgo biloba is typically taken as a capsule, tablet, or tea. Dosage should be followed as per the product label or healthcare professional’s advice.
- Red Ginseng
- Why? Red ginseng, also known as Panax ginseng, has been used in Traditional Chinese Medicine for centuries. Some studies suggest that it might improve sexual function and satisfaction, particularly in men with erectile dysfunction.
- How to take it: Red ginseng is available as capsules, tablets, teas, or extracts. It’s important to note that red ginseng can interact with some medications, so always consult with a healthcare professional before starting this supplement.
- Why? L-arginine is an amino acid that your body needs for many functions, including nitric oxide production, which can help expand blood vessels and increase blood flow. This increased blood flow can enhance arousal and sexual response.
- How to take it: L-arginine is available as a supplement in capsule or tablet form. However, some people may experience side effects like digestive discomfort, so it’s important to start with a low dose and see how your body reacts.
- Why? Zinc is an essential mineral involved in a multitude of body processes, including hormone production. Low levels of zinc can affect testosterone levels, a hormone critical for sexual desire in both men and women.
- How to take it: Zinc supplements come in various forms, including capsules and tablets. Too much zinc can cause side effects, so don’t exceed the recommended daily allowance unless instructed by a healthcare professional.
While these supplements may help to enhance libido, they’re not a cure-all solution. The most effective approach to improving sexual health involves a balanced diet, regular exercise, adequate sleep, stress management, and healthy relationships. Additionally, sexual desire is complex and can be affected by many factors, including mental health and underlying medical conditions. Therefore, it’s essential to consult with a healthcare professional if you’re experiencing significant issues with your libido.
If you’re looking for some more fun ways to build chemistry and intimacy in your relationship check out Pure Romance for some great ideas. You can try a ton of different products including the specialty g spot vibrator, and even a clit vibrator as well as get some new ideas for fun things to do to build connection.